Seven Super Competencies Proven to Build Great Leaders
How Do You Compare?
Competencies are the key skills and behaviors that determine success at work. For leaders, both functional and technical skills, as well as management skills contribute to high performance and success. With demographic changes, talent wars and today’s overall business landscape, there is a critical need for companies to create and implement an effective leadership succession plan with candidates that possess specific competencies linked to success.
XBInsight has studied thousands of development assessments from leaders across over 40 industries to determine the Seven Super Competencies tied directly to leadership performance:
- Energy & Drive
- People Management & Development
- Change Leader
- Outstanding Decision Making
- Strategic Business Orientation
- Builds Relationships
- Skilled Communicator
Through our research, we have created a Super Competency Assessment that specifically measures these seven super competencies to reveal a leaders’ strengths and potential weaknesses, identifies areas of development, and provides the guidance needed to build a robust pipeline of leadership-ready talent.
Using our Super Competency Assessment, we can help you identify and develop high potential talent earlier in their careers so you can create customized training and development programs for your next generation of successful leaders. Our assessment is a cost-effective method to develop leaders through scalable solutions and will guarantee that you have a strong leadership pipeline that will prepare your organization for the future.
If you are interested in boosting the performance of your organization by developing better leaders, we can help. We’ve literally got it down to a science.
Energy and Drive
- Measures a leader’s ability to focus energy and attention on creating wins and taking initiative to see projects through to the end.
- Maintains persistence and refusal to give up when faced with obstacles.
- Gains internal satisfaction from accomplishing personal and business objectives
- Is proactive and takes initiative and ownership from success.
- Works hard to exceed the performance of others. Likes to win.
Influences and Motivators
- Measures a leader’s ability to inspire and motivate others in order to gain buy-in and tell persuasive stories to bring others on board.
- Explores alternatives and positions to reach outcomes that gain support from all parties.
- Effective at persuading others to change their mind or alter behavior.
- Easily establishes rapport and shares personal information to create common ground.
- Understands and communicates the organization’s strategic vision, both short-term and long-term.
- Measures a leader’s ability to use time and resources effectively to meet organizational goals, push hard to achieve deadlines, and embrace stable and routine processes in order to maximize efficiency and minimize errors.
- Drives for results and focuses on improving performance outcomes.
- Translates goals into tactics and specific steps. Follows up.
- Reduces unnecessary variance in processes. Establishes and/or follows protocol.
- Understands amd appreciates the effects of technology on the broader business environment.
Outstanding Decision Making
- Measures a leader’s ability to use a combination of data and intuition to make objective decisions, moving forward confidently in the decision-making process and not looking back. Takes different points of view to push others toward unique decisions.
- Projects an appropriate degree of self-confidence and personal capability to accomplish a task.
- Gathers and analyzes information from multiple sources or points of view; evaluates the costs and benefits.
- Demonstrates awareness of the attitudes, interests, needs, and perspective of others.
- Demonstrates proactive leadership of initiatives and situations with confidence and authority.
- Measures a leader’s ability to remain silent in the face of criticism and difficulties, while able to pivot and change perspective and keeping an upbeat attitude.
- Adapts to and works effectively with a variety of situations/individuals/groups.
- Effectively expresses reactions and opinions with genuine emotion that is neither hidden nor blown.
- Maintains a positive outlook for the future.
- Measures a leader’s ability to demonstrate an orientation toward cooperative efforts and creating and maintaining strong relationships with diverse stakeholders.
- Focuses efforts on discovering and meeting customer needs and expectations.
- Builds and maintains relationships with other individuals or organizations to help achieve business goals.
- Builds collaboration by establishing, communicating, and reinforcing shared values and norms.
- Able to resolve differences and reach agreements by maintaining a problem-solving attitude.
- Measures a leader’s ability to openly and effectively communicate with broad audiences, while listening and learning to create an environment where others have a voice.
- Delivers compelling presentations: gains proper consideration for ideas and information through the effective use of presentations.
- Listens actively: actively listens to others’ questions, concerns, and input.
- Communicates articulately: able to speak clearly and concisely.
- Exudes executive presence: leads others to follow through on difficult actions and initiatives.