Super Competencies for Leadership Performance
Based on over 40 industries and science-backed methodologies, XBInsight has identified seven super competencies tied directly to leadership performance and success.
Energy and Drive
- Measures a leader’s ability to focus energy and attention on creating wins and taking initiative to see projects through to the end.
- Maintains persistence and refusal to give up when faced with obstacles.
- Gains internal satisfaction from accomplishing personal and business objectives
- Is proactive and takes initiative and ownership from success.
- Works hard to exceed the performance of others. Likes to win.
Influences and Motivators
- Measures a leader’s ability to inspire and motivate others in order to gain buy-in and tell persuasive stories to bring others on board.
- Explores alternatives and positions to reach outcomes that gain support from all parties.
- Effective at persuading others to change their mind or alter behavior.
- Easily establishes rapport and shares personal information to create common ground.
- Understands and communicates the organization’s strategic vision, both short-term and long-term.
- Measures a leader’s ability to use time and resources effectively to meet organizational goals, push hard to achieve deadlines, and embrace stable and routine processes in order to maximize efficiency and minimize errors.
- Drives for results and focuses on improving performance outcomes.
- Translates goals into tactics and specific steps. Follows up.
- Reduces unnecessary variance in processes. Establishes and/or follows protocol.
- Understands amd appreciates the effects of technology on the broader business environment.
Outstanding Decision Making
- Measures a leader’s ability to use a combination of data and intuition to make objective decisions, moving forward confidently in the decision-making process and not looking back. Takes different points of view to push others toward unique decisions.
- Projects an appropriate degree of self-confidence and personal capability to accomplish a task.
- Gathers and analyzes information from multiple sources or points of view; evaluates the costs and benefits.
- Demonstrates awareness of the attitudes, interests, needs, and perspective of others.
- Demonstrates proactive leadership of initiatives and situations with confidence and authority.
- Measures a leader’s ability to remain silent in the face of criticism and difficulties, while able to pivot and change perspective and keeping an upbeat attitude.
- Adapts to and works effectively with a variety of situations/individuals/groups.
- Effectively expresses reactions and opinions with genuine emotion that is neither hidden nor blown.
- Maintains a positive outlook for the future.
- Measures a leader’s ability to demonstrate an orientation toward cooperative efforts and creating and maintaining strong relationships with diverse stakeholders.
- Focuses efforts on discovering and meeting customer needs and expectations.
- Builds and maintains relationships with other individuals or organizations to help achieve business goals.
- Builds collaboration by establishing, communicating, and reinforcing shared values and norms.
- Able to resolve differences and reach agreements by maintaining a problem-solving attitude.
- Measures a leader’s ability to openly and effectively communicate with broad audiences, while listening and learning to create an environment where others have a voice.
- Delivers compelling presentations: gains proper consideration for ideas and information through the effective use of presentations.
- Listens actively: actively listens to others’ questions, concerns, and input.
- Communicates articulately: able to speak clearly and concisely.
- Exudes executive presence: leads others to follow through on difficult actions and initiatives.